Tuesday, July 24, 2012

British Birthday



A few weeks ago, when I approached the boy about his upcoming birthday party, he said, "I just want something simple.  Just a few friends.  Maybe a movie or something."  I told him that sounded great. I asked him if he had an idea of a particular movie that he was thinking about watching.  "What about that one you and dad are always talking about, the one that says something about 'just a flesh wound' or 'just a bunny' or something like that."





Oh my, yes!  I decided it was definitely time to introduce the boy to Monty Python and the Holy Grail.  That wonderfully hilarious movie full of the best quotes.  In fact, I judge my friends on whether or not they can quote Holy Grail.  It's kind of a deal breaker.  The boy could see my head spinning.  "Mom just keep it simple, OK?"  So, no fondant formed knights on the cake then?  "No.  No knights.  No theme. Yes cake."  Right.  Absolutely son.  No problem.  Simple it is.






The day of the party arrived.  The boy walked into the kitchen and found me making a Union Jack paper chain.  I had already made little flags for a centerpiece and had purchased Union Jack plates and napkins.  "Mom, you're theme-ing."  No, I'm not.  I'm decorating.  He gave me a wry smile and said, "You're decorating with a theme."  And in true Chris fashion, he just shrugged his shoulders, smiled, and left me to decorate.  He's good to his birthday party loving mama.



So we celebrated with a bit of British flair and some Monty Python.  Good, witty fun.  And I'm proud to report that my son thought the movie was hilarious.  Whew!  That was close.  I would have had to disown him otherwise.  He even thanked me the next morning for "theme-ing".  He's a good kid.  I think I'll keep him.




1 comment:

  1. I found your site by googling Blueberries for Sal quotes, but this party post caught my eye! I love the idea. My kids are in love with British culture (we also introduced our son to Monty Python this year)and I'm in love with throwing themed parties (your kindred spirit!) so I had to tell you your party looks brilliant! Well done.

    ReplyDelete