Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Grey Days

I'm struggling to start this week.  And I know, it's a short week, having yesterday off.  But maybe that's it; the week feels stifled.  Maybe it's because I really don't like my class load this semester.  Maybe it's because I resituated myself back into being at home with my sprites this summer and I miss them.  Maybe it's because I've got the future on my mind and I'm staring at three different paths with no idea which one to choose.  Maybe it's the nearly autumn rain. Maybe it's all of those things.  Maybe it's none of them.

When I'm stuck in a melancholy lingering kind of mood I find my mind wandering to poetry.  I find myself wanting to pour over Frost, Browning, and Cummings.  I want to listen to moody well versed songs that strike a note within.  And I find myself drawn to the poet's and writer's world, reading articles and blog posts about shared melancholy, shared worlds.  I'm drawn to people who connect to the deeper soul part of me where my own verse lies waiting to pour forth.  This tendency points to the path I should take, though it's the hard, unprofitable one.  The path "less traveled" I suppose.  I'm told taken said path will make "all the difference"*, though I'm not so sure. Yet.  I'm sure more will reveal itself as we progress.

For now, though, I leave you with melancholy bits to linger on.  Come with me to a world of subtle colors and grey.  A place where we take "the weather so personally"**.  It's quietly muddled here.  Which can be a rather nice thing, if you let it.

1. Read:  What to do when you can't remember who you are.  by Sara Sophia.  Beautiful.

2. Read: When you're broken and don't know where to go by Ann Voskamp.  For moments when parenting seems an impossible task.

3. Watch.  Enjoy.  I love this song.  And the movie we all relate it to.  (As I type this my own "Cat" is sitting to the left of my keyboard, happily sleeping and purring away a perfectly grey day.)




*The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost
** partial quote by J.D. Salinger

No comments:

Post a Comment