Friday, November 1, 2013

Thanks and Giving

"Thanks therapy is God's prescription for joy"

-Ann Voskamp, A Holy Experience

We need some thanks therapy around here.  We've been sulking and pouting for a few months now. These months have left me soul weary.  A weariness I can feel beyond my bones.  We're spiraling into the dark hole of Oscar's trashcan.  Folks, we're grumpy.  (Albeit more real life than puppet, although there are days...)

We need some crisp autumn truth in our spirits.  We need the shedding of the leaves and the color rush of fresh vision. We need something to change. I'm tired of the grouchiness and the weariness and the pouting and the sulking and the general unease that comes with all of that.  I'm just so tired.

I'm trying to be patient with the changing.  I know that major life movement take time to adjust to.  I'm still giving it my year.  I know that it's all still too strange and unfamiliar.  I know that we have yet to find our community.  And I know that we are all still fresh with the missing.  But I fear that in the missing we are neglecting our life here, now.

The crazy truth, the thing I'm not supposed to say out loud:  I'm making up this parenting thing as I go. The thing that comforts me:  you are too.  There's no instruction manual.  There are these crazy things called intuition, logic, and love.  I try to strike a healthy balance of all of the above and hope I land somewhere near north.  I don't know how to help three kids get over a loss.  I don't know how to help them make their home here.  I don't know where their angry/sad button is or how to turn it off.  

But I do know this.  Perspective can change any situation.  I think what we need is a little November rain.  A spirit rain.  We need to find joy in the missing.  Joy in the pain of this moment.  What we need is thanksgiving.  Real thanksgiving.

So today we begin a month of thanks and giving.  We don't have a lot to give, but what we have is His for the offering.  We aren't feeling very thankful, but we will list thanks until we feel it.

All we have is today.  Let's find joy in this wild, sweet mess.  


No comments:

Post a Comment