Monday, July 12, 2010

Goggles In The Kiddie Pool

I love that they wear goggles in water that's not even two feet deep. Sicily is the the only one who can get her whole little body under the water. Analiese's feet hang over the edge if she stretches out. They have to sit cross-legged if they get in together. Each summer brings a little more height pushing them out of the four foot circle. But this is the only escape from the unrelenting heat, so they find a way to make it work. They come into the house only to grab a Popsicle and then jump back in. Our water bill is probably going to sky rocket this month because they dump out the water as soon as it begins to warm up and fill it to the brim again with the icy water from the hose. I like to stick my feet in right after they've filled it. The cold shoots up my legs giving me a few minutes of relief. Then I go back into my unairconditioned house and sweat and watch them play. The boy, who has grown to be only a few inches shorter than me, sits beside me in the kitchen and we wish we were three feet tall with goggles on our heads.

No comments:

Post a Comment