Tuesday, September 28, 2010

He's Good In His Space

My day was open, so I decided to go to the courthouse today to watch my husband work. He walked me through the hallways showing off his space. It's a home of sorts for him and he smiled as he showed it off.

When we got to his courtroom, I slid into a bench and watched him ease into the fray. Like so many flies, the defense attorneys hovered around him vying for attention. I felt myself tense for him and wanted to swat them all away. I would have snapped and told them all to sit down, wait for their turn. But he dealt with them all in turn without a pause between. As he spoke he tossed papers into what seemed to be a very purposeful pile of disarray. If someone asked for one of those papers he could pick it out from among the other hundred without a glance down. I saw him as a master of multitasking, a skill he feigns not to possess at home.

He carried an air of cool certainty as he sorted through the lot of people. His walk was determined and no-nonsense. I watched him diffuse some issues and stand firm on others. I noted he still fidgets with pens.

He began to call out names and I found myself intimidated by the confidence in his voice. He commanded his audience. I felt my old timidness come to the surface. If I had been in there for another purpose I would have found it hard to speak to him. Though, Mr. DA was pretty attractive from my vantage, which left me restraining a flirty giggle. The lady behind me got asked to leave for that.

The whole scene is a mess of humanity. It's a lot to take in. My eyes wandered around the room at the emotions in play. I watched the defended, the guilty, the remorseful, those who felt wronged, the witnesses, the prosecutors, the deputies, and the judge. It was a hive of bees all buzzing out of sync and yet in rhythm. It's a muddle. Through the mix I listened to my husband question and object. I listened to the authority in his voice when he gave statements and the exasperation in his voice as he discredited the irrelevant or the downright stupid.

It was a morning that left me smiling in pride. He's good in his space. He's unfrazzled and comfortable there. He is action and calm. He is both intimidating and likable. We have been married for over ten years and I'm happy to say that he still impresses me.

Thanks for showing me your space my love. Oh, and in case you missed it, I still think you're a seriously attractive man. We'll be using that "Mr. DA" thing later.

5 comments:

  1. Good Girl.....the boys rarely get to show their professional side to us.......What a smart one you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So that's where Chris gets it. I wondered where he learned to command those hallways that you posted about a while back. Like Father like Son I guess:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very sweet post. I haven't gone down to the courthouse to watch Nathan yet (I've been wanting to), but I think I may have to soon!

    Just wish those husbands of ours could do what they love AND make enough money to pay back those student loans! Ha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. If that man could prosecute as well as his sweet wife could write, Lady Justice would smile a deep, contented smile.

    ReplyDelete