Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Mellow


I went to dinner with my love in a nice hippie place with colorful walls and cake stands at the bar filled with irresistible goodness. I ate mushroom stuffed ravioli and a mile high slice of caramel-apple cake. The ravioli melted in my mouth and the caramel was perfectly salty. We watched people come and go as we finished a bottle of wine over our casual conversation and light laughs. Then we went out to hear some jazz under the street lights and laughed with other people about the joys and mundane of being old married folks. We walked on and mellowed into each other as the breeze cooled. We came home contented and melted into sheets.

We woke to perfect weather and a day to do nothing. I got in the hammock and let the leaves fall around my head. A princess came by, hung her crown on a hook, and curled up beside me. We named cloud animals for a bit until she quieted into my arms. We rested that way for over an hour. Not sleeping, just staring at the sky. I don't know when she's ever been so still. The breeze called for it and she felt it. We got our lunch plates and some books, and we went right back to the hammock. We stayed there until time didn't exist and the world felt as if it were only this place with her. She finally jumped up to run off with her friends, leaving her crown fluttering ever so slightly in the wind. The spell was broken but the feeling of it remained.

Fall is coming. I sense the quieting of my soul.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my! This is wonderfully written!!!! I love your writings. How to get my students to write like this ?!?!?!?!?

    ReplyDelete