Friday, April 6, 2012

Easter Eggs


This year we decided to go Au Naturel for Easter.  I've seen recipes for dyeing eggs naturally floating around for awhile but for some reason I've never tried it.  Habit, I guess.  When you've used artificial hot pink for thirty years, it's hard to change.  But the pictures of the naturally dyed eggs always look so pretty with their muted colors.  I like that kind of thing.  I had just about convinced myself to try it this year when I read an article that talked about how the artificial dyes seep into the egg.  Now I don't know about your kids, but mine don't waste a hard boiled egg.  We dye them, then eat them.  Knowing that my kids have been eating artificial hot pink really made the decision.   So I started boiling fruits and vegetables and other various plant parts in the kitchen.  (You know you've gone hippy when you're boiling grass clippings.)  I got my recipes here.  It was a little trial and error.  I like the colors the onion and the blueberries made the best.  The paprika was a complete failure.  And all of our reds turned purplish-grey, albeit a pretty shade of purplish-grey.  All told, they aren't perfect, but they are pretty.  And safe for eating, as well as hiding.  In fact, the hiding should be a little more fun.  Light brown is much better camouflage than hot pink.











No comments:

Post a Comment