Sunday, November 18, 2012

Gifts Unexpected

Even though our family is not whole most of the year, I am thankful that we have managed to come together on holidays to celebrate as a family.  Even if it means celebrating Thanksgiving a few days early.  Or answering other people's "Isn't it awkward...?"  questions about being together on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.  I'm thankful that we don't find it awkward.

I'm thankful that my childrens' father knows me well enough to know how much holiday time means to me.  He knows how much I need this holiday time with these three we made.  He knows I need it down deep in the very essence of me.  It's who I am.  I'm thankful that he acknowledges that part of me by letting me be with my children on those days, often sacrificing his own time with them. (He doesn't have to do that, but he does it anyway.)  I'm thankful for Skype and Facetime that allows us to be "together" even on those days.

I'm thankful that even through our hurt and loss, we can come together for our children to show love and kindness and grace. And after all isn't that what this time of year is about?

I'm thankful for a time of year that allows us to put aside all of the other life stuff and focus on what really matters.  Family.  And I'm thankful for the countless other times throughout the year when I realize that even though our situation is far from ideal, I know (from looking at others in similar situations) that it could be so much worse.  Despite our own weaknesses, we are trying our best to make sure that the kids are raised well.  And I'm thankful for God's grace to cover the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment