Tuesday, December 18, 2012

The Boy Learns to Play the Clarinet


Seeing this guy in a tie has made my year. For a kid who can usually be found in athletic shorts and a t-shirt, year round, he cleans up very nicely.  In fact, I know I'm his mama and therefore biased, but I have to say he is, hands down, one of the most handsome guys I know...

Oh, sorry, I got sidetracked by the tie, when really we're here to discuss why he's wearing a tie.  The boy had his first band concert last week.  And I'm happy to say, that this group of ragamuffin sixth graders sounded pretty good. Standing ovation for the band teacher, please!  Most of these kids didn't know what half of these instruments were three months ago, so I was thoroughly impressed when all three songs were recognizable with only a few occasional squeaks.


If someone had told me last year at this time that this year I would be watching my son play the clarinet while wearing a tie, I would have laughed and told them that they were mistaken.  But I have to say, I'm so very glad that I would have been wrong.  Band has been one of his favorite classes.  This goes back to the teacher.  Three teachers, to be exact.  His fifth grade music teacher pushed him out on stage, outside of his comfort zone.  And because he surprised himself and enjoyed that, he signed up for band. Now he has another teacher who motivates him to do his best and because of that he is learning to play an instrument and read music.  His math teacher adds to this mix by encouraging her students to learn music.  She gives lessons in why music is mathematical.  All of these women are great teachers.  They are teachers who know how to motivate their students.  They are teachers that know the value of the arts in education.  They are teachers who are helping to shape my son's life.  And for that I owe them a great amount of gratitude.


I'm proud of this boy.  I'm proud of him for learning something new.  I'm proud of him for pushing past the early frustration that comes from learning an instrument, or anything new for that matter.  I'm proud of him for practicing and pushing himself to actually do well.  I have never once had to remind him to practice.  But that's the kind of kid he is.  When he sets his mind to something, he does it well.  It's one of his better character traits.

I hope he sticks with this.  I've liked seeing him move outside of his off-stage comfort zone.  I'm hoping to see him continue until he's in the spotlight.  Somewhere, someday.  Maybe it won't be for playing the clarinet.  In fact, I'll say it likely won't be a spotlight clarinet solo.  (Are there spotlight clarinet solos?)  But this story isn't just about the clarinet; there are greater life lessons at play here.  This kid is smart enough to one day be in the spotlight for something, that much I know.  And when that day comes, you better believe I'll be in the audience, camera ready.



No comments:

Post a Comment