Monday, November 22, 2010

Parties And Programs To Be Thankul For


I sat in the school auditorium for two and a half hours on Friday to watch three programs. Then I made my way around the school to three parties. All full of turkey talk, Pilgrims, and Native Americans. Cupcakes, apple cider, and leaves of thanks. All fun, all important. All part of getting ready for the wonderful holiday we call Thanksgiving.


Sweet faces still holding baby fat sang about Columbus and his three ships. Their eyes wandered and they shuffled their feet. Then the audience stood clapping. They all looked up with big smiles and pride in their eyes. And I just wanted to scoop them all up into a hug, especially that little freckle-faced blond in the middle.



Fourth grade boys are far too cool for school programs. If you watch closely you can see that they are all mouthing nonsense to look like they're participating, leaving the true performing to the girls. Silly boys. But the video is cute anyways, especially the girl who got the role of the turkey.



Finally, I dedicate this video to my sisters and mom. Three people I am very thankful for. And they are the three people who know why listening to my daughter repeatedly rehearse Colors of the Wind for the last two weeks is really funny. You see, my little sister was in kindergarten when the movie Pocahontas first came out and like every other five year old at the time she had her fair share of Pocahontas related items in her bedroom. One of those things was an alarm clock that sang Colors of the Wind. The problem is my little sister can sleep through a tornado, so we all heard that song over and over again every single school morning for about a year. Now when I hear it I start to twitch a little. But it really is a beautiful song especially when performed by my beautiful daughter who is still singing it over and over again long past her actual performance. Thus is life. This is horribly filmed and I apologize but you see why I had to show it to you despite that fact. So for my family, and all of you, I present Colors of the Wind.

3 comments:

  1. I love all of these! I especially laughed out loud at the last part of the post. We will never forget that song!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree...we will forever have that song in our memories...speaking of which, maybe I could find that clock. :)

    They all did wonderfully, tell them I am proud of them and love them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What precious sister memories! This is such a good post. How wonderful!

    ReplyDelete