Thursday, July 21, 2011

Holiday Love

I grew up spending the 4th of July on the lake. We'd go out on Dad's boat and tube all day long, getting tossed around by giant waves made by the hundreds of other boaters who had the same idea. At some point Dad would break out the skis and attempt to teach us to ski. He tried for several years but we never did learn to ski. Our brains didn't translate putting boards on our feet to gliding on water. For us, it meant face down dives into the water with boards still attached to our feet while the boat sped away. So instead we opted for being thrown into the air by a giant inflatable raft that left us soar and bruised. Really, it's a lot of fun. We would stay out until we were burnt to a lobster-red crisp, tired, and slightly cranky. Then we would drive to the middle of the lake and watch the fireworks. And all of the tired and cranky would melt away. We all love fireworks. We love the 4th of July.

Actually, my family is kind of crazy about holidays. All of them: Christmas, Valentine's Day, Memorial Day, National Popcorn Day. OK, maybe we skip Popcorn Day, but only because we don't know when it is. Holidays we're a big part of my childhood. No matter what was going on day to day, my parents made sure holidays were special days full of good memories. And my sisters and I have carried that sentiment into our own families. My kids know holidays are fun days. I love that. Life is crazy and chaotic and messy. It's important to have some days that are reserved just for good. Just for family and loving one another.


This year, I was thrilled when I got to spend the 4th with my sister, Hilary, and her family. We even made it to a lake! Not on the 4th, but close enough for it to be nostalgic. Throw in some sparklers and some fireworks, and it made for a pretty wonderful 4th of July. Hopefully, one that my kids will remember fondly prompting them to pass down some holiday love to their own kids. Some family and laughter. Some good memories made and more to come.

2 comments: