Friday, May 14, 2010

Never Say You're Busy

I made the mistake of saying I was busy out loud.

As soon as I hit "publish post" Tuesday, I started feeling a little sick. I can't say it came out of nowhere. I was woken up on Mother's Day at 3am to Chris throwing up on my pillow and spent the rest of the night sitting up with him. So when Sicily and I caught his stomach bug on Tuesday I wasn't surprised. I certainly wasn't thrilled either. The two of us spent all day Wednesday in bed with cold wash clothes on our eyes. Analiese joined us that night. If there is anyone I'd choose to be sick with it's these two sweet girls. They like to cuddle, which is good when you're feeling a little blah and need an extra hug. And blah is the right word. Blah and Ughhh. It's a yucky thing to have, especially when you have a ton of projects rolling around your severely pounding head.

Luckily it seems to be a 24 hour thing so by yesterday afternoon we were all feeling better. That's when I went into the kitchen and found the languishing strawberries that we picked last weekend. I immediately cleared space and got to making jam. Then, when I got light headed, I realized that might have been a bit ambitious coming off of a day spent in bed. So this morning I finished making strawberry jam. And it was well worth the wait. It's sweet and yummy. I can't wait to break into it with some fresh bread. More than that, this jam kicks off the preserving season. A perfect start to the years provisions, I think. And the perfect spring comfort food to warm up the appetite after a few sick days spent in bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment