Monday, October 18, 2010

I Like Him

" The course of true love never did run smooth."
- Shakespeare, A Midsu
mmer Night's Dream

We went out this weekend to celebrate twelve years. My date almost fell asleep in his etouffee. He's been working so hard lately. Have I told you that he's working three jobs to help make ends meet? We cut the date short and came home so that he could crash. I wasn't upset. It made me laugh. He is a good man. And even if we don't get as much time together as we'd like sometimes, at the end of the day we fall into the same bed. Our toes touch and it's enough.

Our's is a story in which the above quote is certainly fitting. We have run a hard course in so many ways. Maybe getting grounded for breaking curfew after our first date was an omen we should have given more weight. But that porch swing kiss stole my heart. And I've never gotten it back. No matter our trials or our joys, I'm just simply his. Because after all these years he's still the person I run to when I'm excited and when I'm sad. I still love to bury my head in his chest. I still look forward to him coming home at the end of the day. I still want to go on dates with him. He still makes me laugh. He takes care of me and our kids. He taught each of our children to ride a bike. My children love him and I love him for that. He is still my very best friend.

As much as I am his, he is mine. And though our course may never run smoothly, it will continue.

Last night we curled up on the couch to watch Food Network after experimenting with different ways to cook mushrooms. The whole scene made us the picture of an old married couple. But we're an old married couple that still finds great companionship in the other. It's one thing to say that I still love him, but I think it means more to say that I still like him. And I do. I like him a lot.

2 comments:

  1. Megan-well put. I think the key to a successful and meaningful marriage is that you are best friends which means you like as well as love. And it's ok to be like an old married couple sitting on the couch watching tv together......28 yrs and still counting and enjoying my best friend each day too!

    ReplyDelete