Thursday, December 16, 2010

A Lesson on Rockwell



We've been studying Norman Rockwell at the studio. I've been using his work to teach my students about illustrating everyday moments. Being a huge Rockwell fan, I've loved this study. Rockwell embodies ideal American life. He captures moments that make us wish we were there. I especially love his holiday portraits. They wrap up everything I want the holidays to be. Which is why I chose to start this project this time of year. This way I've gotten to decorate the studio in all of my favorite holiday Rockwell prints. My heart smiles every time I see them.

I know I don't often share studio work here. But the finished projects are definitely on my list of all time favorites. We made "Sunday Evening Post" covers. (Yes, I know it's supposed to be Saturday, but you know, copyrights and all.) I love them. I especially love this one:

But I'm a little biased given that the artist is my smallest sprite. The picture is of my sister and her husband out for a walk with the baby and the dogs. It's a very sweet picture. She started drawing it right after Thanksgiving, thus her inspiration. This one is definitely going in a frame. I'm absolutely in love with it.

1 comment: