Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Male Extinction


It was 13 degrees outside when we got up this morning. We all bundled up in winter gear before we headed out into the frosty day. All of us except the boy. I pointed at his jacket. He just nodded his head no and started out the door. I told him to at least put on a hoodie. At the blast of cold air he turned around and grabbed his hat too. I let him go. This is one of my "pick your battles" issues. If he's cold enough he'll wear a jacket. Right?

On the way to school we talked about how this was an unusually cold December and I mentioned off hand that he wouldn't be as cold if he had worn a jacket. He told me jackets are embarrassing. I started to tell him how ridiculous that sounded but at this point we were at the school and I watched children stumble out of cars. All of the girls were bundled in down jackets, scarves, gloves, hats, and Uggs up to their knees. The boys on the other hand were getting out in jeans and a hoodie at most. I saw one kid in shorts and a T-shirt. May I remind you that it's 13 degrees outside.

That's when I thought that maybe this should be a battle more moms pick. Because apparently the male version of our species would all die off before they hit puberty if it weren't for nagging mothers.

They'd all be standing in a circle in 13 degree weather in shorts and T-shirts. "What? I'm not cold. You cold?" "No, I'm less cold than you. I could stand out here naked at 13 below." "Yea. That's my teeth chattering. What? I'm not cold." Then they'd all freeze to death in one big act of machismo.

Deep down men will always be wild animals. And at this age they are completely illogical wild animals just feeding off of a flood of testosterone. So they'll freeze because not freezing makes them embarrassingly wimpy.

Other animals know to come in out of the cold. Our cat stays outside for no longer than five minutes at time. Then again she's female. Maybe all of the male cats are sitting in a circle somewhere saying, "What? I'm not cold. You cold?".

1 comment: