Wednesday, March 9, 2011

S@#%!!

*warning this post contains a naughty word repeated...but it's so funny it's worth it.*


Yesterday I was sitting at the kitchen table with the kids helping them with homework. The older two were working quietly and I was helping Sicily make a chart of rhyming words. Across the top were the words Ham, Fox, Cat, and Sit. She added sit, it wasn't even supposed to be there, but she's an excited learner so I let it go. She was supposed to list 5 rhyming words under each one. So we start with Ham: Sam, Jam, Nam, Clam, and Sham. Good. Now Fox: Box, Nox, Cox, Lox, Shox. And so on. I should say at this point that she has recently learned the 'Sh' sound and she loves the way it feels to say it so all of her writing has had a lot of 'Sh' words. And now Sit: Mit, Kit, Bit, Lit, Shit. And then our conversation went something like this.

Me: "Oh, sorry honey. You're going to erase that last one."

Sicily: "Why? Shit is a good word. It rhymes."

Me: "Yes it does, but that's one of those words that we don't say. I don't think your teacher will like seeing it."

Sicily: "Why? It's just shit. It rhymes and I like that word and it says S H. I want to write shit."

Me: "I'm sorry baby but you're going to have to erase it. We just don't say that word. OK?"

At this point the other two can barely contain their laughter because naughty words are hysterical to children but they are about to be rolling in the floor.

Sicily: Now she's heated and yelling because she a feisty little sprite, "I like SHIT. I'm using shit. I'm leaving it. I like the word shit. It's a good word. Shit. Shit. Shit! See it rhymes with sit."

Me: very calmly, "You have to erase that word. It's not a word we use. I'm sorry but your teacher won't like that word."

Sicily: Arms crossed, lip stuck out, "Fine." She plops back down in her seat and erases the whole Sit column.

Somehow I've always known that of all of my children this child would be the one yelling at the top of her lungs "I like the word shit!". Oh, my feisty little sprite. I fear she's going to be a mess of a teenager. It's a good thing she's so damn, I mean darn, cute.

3 comments:

  1. Just so you know, I was laughing hysterically while reading this post!! Oh, the things our children will say...

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my! I am wiping the tears away. You handled that amazingly well, mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man! That's HILARIOUS Megan! Thanks for sharing brightened my day!

    ReplyDelete