Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Winter


The air around our house is stale with winter. So I threw open the windows to let in something fresh. As I did a petal fell from the dying roses by my bed. Small and seemingly meaningless, yet I stared at the fallen petal wondering at the symbolism.

My heart is dying from the cold of winter. I need a little spring.

I got a babysitter to come that very night and went out for the first time since he left. I've been everything around this place, alone, for nearly two months now. I needed a minute to breath. I melted into an arm chair at a friend's house and laughed and forgot for a minute my upside down world.

I came home feeling refreshed. I kissed each sleeping child on the forehead with a smile. Then I made my way to my own room and came face to face with those damn roses. Still by my bed, dying. I can't escape this winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment