Saturday, July 18, 2009

The berries are here, the berries are here!



Well, not here. Not much grows in this blasted Charlotte clay. So we took a little drive and went to berry heaven! We picked blueberries and blackberries until our fingers were purple and our bellies were full. Is there anything better than a warm, sweet berry fresh from the vine? I love the way blueberries just fall off into your bucket with so little effort, as if they want nothing more than to go home with you. Blackberries aren't quite as kind. They hide and prick you, but ohhh, that makes victory that much sweeter. Sweeter indeed. We came home with 19 lbs. of fresh berries. We would have come home with more but much like Little Sal*, Sicily kept picking them from my bucket and putting them in her mouth. She followed me around picking a few here and there for her bucket and eating a few from mine. Talking to me in mumbles because her cheeks were too full for real words. I couldn't get onto her; my mouth was full too! Even with my little snacker, we came home with quite a bounty. I said we would have berries for months. They all disagreed, and they're probably right. They'll never last that long!

*Blueberries For Sal by Robert McCloskey wonderful book!


2 comments:

  1. That is a lot of berries. Yum! Looks like it was a fun time too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like so much fun! What wonderful memories you made with your adorable kiddos. I wonder what kind of yummy desserts you will make with all of those berries!

    ReplyDelete