Friday, July 24, 2009

Happy Birthday Chris!

Oh, how he's grown this year...




My firstborn son in nine today! Nine! Christopher Michael. I can still remember what it felt like to hold him as a newborn. I remember him sitting with my dad as a three year old watching Bob the Builder Live. He's way too cool for Bob the Builder now. It seems like it wasn't too long ago that he was a four year old going to preschool saying, "mom, could you call me Chris now?". Break a mom's heart, why don't you! He's big and feeling like he's very grown up. And in so many ways he is. He's at this in between stage of being a little boy and wanting to be a young man. He's way past cartoons and toy cars (although he admitted yesterday that Mary Poppins is one of his favorite movies. shhh, don't tell anyone). It's now video games and extreme building creations. This boy of mine, so much like me and so much like his dad at the same time. The boy who would live on a snowy mountain year round if we let him. He feels most comfortable at the top of a tree. He's hit this awkward stage of wanting to fit in, while his parents keep saying be yourself. I'm pretty sure his goal in life right now is for his dad to think he's cool. Smart. Creative. Mathematical. Logical. Protective. Shy. Polite. Stubborn. Explorer. Skeptical. Curious. Generous. This is my boy. My son, who I love more than life. What an incredibly beautiful young man he is becoming.

1 comment:

  1. this piece you wrote brought sweet tears to my eyes.... beautifully done Megan.

    ReplyDelete