Thursday, July 23, 2009

Home

There is a certain peace I get when I return from a trip. A feeling that can be summed up with "ahhhhh". Do you know that feeling? When you walk through the door and your greeted by familiar smells and sights that just make your body want to sink into relaxation. Even if it's a mess, it's your mess. It's those first few seconds, before you let your mind start wandering to all that needs to be done the next day (the laundry, the unpacking, the groceries). It's those first few seconds that get you, when the familiar wraps you up like a warm blanket. I've been away this week and I had that moment today. Maybe I'm just a homebody. I like the familiar. So tonight I walked through our doors and sighed a big heavy sigh. It's good to be home. Tomorrow will be full. But tonight I'm going to sink into my big blue couch and listen to the sound of my kids running through the halls above. I'm going to drink a big glass of sweet tea in one of my favorite blue rimmed glasses. I'm going to soak in my tub. Then I'm going to fall into my bed and snuggle down under my brown blanket getting as close to my husband as I can. I'm going to sigh a big sigh and rest. I know that's a lot of "my" but sometimes leaving is the the best way to appreciate all of the wonderful things in my life.

1 comment:

  1. I very much agree. There is no sleep as good as the sleep you get in your own bed.

    ReplyDelete