Thursday, July 9, 2009

My little artists

As most of you know, we do not fear art around here. I am not the mom who fears paint, glitter, or play dough. So all of my kids have a very creative side. With Chris, it comes out in the form of sculptures made of Legos, Magnext, or some other building tool. With Sicily, it's organized chaos. It's the crazy outfits she puts together or the intense forts she builds. With Analiese it's classic art. She's my painter, my drawer, my sketchbook keeper. She's very talented. I can see so much potential in her young work. I feel that it's my duty as a mom to nurture their creativity. Picasso said, "All children are artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up." When we grow up we become self conscience about how good we are at art. So we stop doing it. We stop doodling and coloring. And I think in a way we lose a freedom. The freedom to lose ourselves in a coloring page or to build a fairy house in the woods. Creativity in its best form is allowing yourself to just be free of what others think you should be and to just be who you are. Children understand that in a way that adults seem to forget. So I'll keep giving them paper and pencils, legos, and colorful clothing, with the hope that as they grow they will know that their art is beautiful. After all they were created in the image of an incredibly creative God. How could they not be creative?



2 comments:

  1. You are such a good mom! I love the bird houses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I was looking through famous quotes online a few days ago to get inspiration for my photo editiing and I came across that same Picasso quote and I thought it was a good one.

    ReplyDelete