Sunday, October 4, 2009

Apple Picking



We went out into the trees for a little soul nurturing today. Apple trees to be specific. The air was cool and full of the sweet, earthy scent of ripe apples. It was a perfect apple picking day. We picked until our wagon and baskets were too heavy to carry. Steven mumbled something about too many apples. I daydreamed aloud about apple sauce, apple butter, apple pie. I heard no more mumbling. I just saw my husband pulling the wagon to the van, pleased with the idea of sweet goodness coming his way.

Our children always seem to put a little bit of each of their personalities into getting things done.

.

The youngest followed slowly behind us munching on the biggest apples she could find. Occasionally I would ask her to help with the picking, so she would bend down, pick one apple, then keep munching away. Her belly was very happy by the time we had finished.



Chris saw the apples at the top of the tree as a challenge and decided that he had to prove he could get them. So up he went. Oh, that boy. Everything is an adventure.



Analiese filled an entire basket almost on her own and then we lost her to flower picking. Everything may be an adventure to the boy, but to this girl every adventure is a reason to pick flowers, or rocks, or pine cones.



But in the end apples got picked and two content parents sat down on the grass and watched happy children play. A good day. Now I must go to bed and dream about wonderful apple goodness coming my way. I promise to share some with you very soon.

1 comment:

  1. That looks so fun. I'll look forward to a freshly baked apple pie when we come that way. :)

    ReplyDelete