Thursday, August 25, 2011

The First Day of School

The first day of school has arrived. It's one of my favorite days of the year. I love the excitement of the new year. New shoes and clothes. New teachers to get to know. Freshly sharpened bright yellow pencils. You can feel it in the hallways, nervousness and excitement. I love the shout out of a familiar voice and the run and hug moment between two friends. I love the shared look between parents. It's a look of both relief that summer's over and grief that they're getting older. I love the bittersweet swirl of emotions that comes in the moment of release when I kiss them goodbye one last time before leaving them in a new place. On one hand I'm sad to leave them and on the other I'm proud of all that I know they can do. I leave them to let them step out on their own. They must be brave and smart, friendly and independent. It's a moment of shared trust between parent and child. I trust that they are ready for this moment. They trust that I'm where they can reach me, whether they rise or fall. There's a lot wrapped up in the first day of school. And the best part of all? It's the coming home. The moment when they burst through the door all shouting at once. All excited to share their day. My heart swells in that moment with pride and love. My babies aren't babies anymore. They are beautifully brave, smart, friendly, fiercely independent little people with a whole world of possibilities before them.

1 comment:

  1. Ok, so they really have the cutest back to school outfits ever! They all look so good. I love the girls' shoes! And did Chris get a back to school hair cut or trim, rather? It looks good too. :)

    ReplyDelete