Friday, December 11, 2009

For the love of books...




The boy has found his book. You know. That childhood book that you read over and over again. The first book that hits you just right. We all have one. You may have heard it at school or you may have picked it up randomly at the library. It helps define your childhood. It's the book that you want your children to read later because you thought it was so great. My boy has found his book, Shiloh by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor. His class at school read it earlier this year. Now he's rereading it. Last night I was downstairs cleaning up while he was in his room reading. He came into the kitchen and asked me if he could read to me his favorite part. Of course my mama heart was thrilled and immediately stopped what I was doing. It was wonderful listening to him read to me, to share something that made him smile. Isn't it wonderful to connect to a character in a book? To feel like the author wrote it just for you? I love that my boy has found his book. And being a lover of classic lit and a bit old school, I love that it's not one of these new ridiculously rude books being written for boys. I love that he's relating to a classic tale of a boy and his dog. I love the simplicity and timelessness of that. I love this boy of mine.

2 comments: