Monday, December 7, 2009

Oh Christmas Tree



I know some of you have perfectly decorated trees with matching ornaments and ribbon. It's probably a stunning display. I applaud you for your style and effort. But that is not the tree for me. I want a tree that makes you laugh a little when you step back and look at it because the youngest child put all of her ornaments in one place. I want ornaments that make you say, "oh, I remember this". Or ones that make a boy forget that he hates the Disney princesses long enough to say, "Here, let me help you hang up Snow White." I want ornaments made of popsicle sticks and buttons. And ornaments that remind us of various stages in life. I want a tree where the topper is Seussically placed far above the rest of the tree because no one thought to trim the top branch. Oh, and a real tree. It has to all be done on a real tree that fills the whole house with that wonderful evergreen aroma. A real tree that gets sap on your hand and sheds needles. And white lights. White lights that sparkle like stars at night when the other lights are off. Little fire white lights that make you want to snuggle down on the couch in front of it and just stare. That is the tree for me. That is a Christmas tree with heart. That's a tree you can count on to bring the remembering. A tree to build new memories around. That is our tree.

before after




3 comments:

  1. I whole heartedly agree! We are decorating our tree tonight - and it will look just like yours. Even with a Lexington, Virginia ornament!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You couldn't have said it better. Our is filled with memories as well (no theme for us!) (With a Lexington ornament too!)

    ReplyDelete