Wednesday, August 25, 2010

And The School Year Begins

When I got to their room the girls were already awake. The little one had come down from the top bunk and crawled in bed with her sister to snuggle. I turned on the lamp and they jumped up, ready to start the day.

The boy, after being used to sleeping in until the crack of noon, did not jump anywhere. But he despises being late so he pulled himself from bed only a minute or two after his alarm went off and stumbled bleary-eyed to the bathroom.

I brushed their hair and they brushed their teeth. They put on new clothes and new shoes. The house smelled like blueberry muffins and fresh brewed coffee. I packed their lunches as they ate and went over last minute details with the little one. She seemed particularly little this morning as she pulled on her backpack. Too little to be heading out on her own.

Off into the still dark morning we went. The air seemed to know that school was starting and dropped to a lovely 68 degrees. We skipped the drop off lane this morning and parked instead. I wasn't quiet ready to let go of the little one's hand.

As we walked in, the boy shot off as I said, "Have a good day" over the din of the excited children filling the hallways. I held a little girly hand in each of my own. I dropped the older one off first. She was nervous. She doesn't do well with the unfamiliar. I walked her in, gave her a hug, and said good-bye. Her eyes betrayed her anxiety but she gave me a smile. My heart melted for my girl but I know she'll find her groove and do wonderfully.

All I had left to do was walk my baby to her new experience. She strolled in confidently, unpacked her backpack, and sat down to start her day without a single backwards glance. I started to leave, but then she jumped up and ran back to give me a hug. She still seemed far too little to be there. But I left her and made the walk back to the car alone.

The school year has begun.

2 comments:

  1. This post combined with being preggo and hormonal...led to many tears. I can't believe your baby is going to school! WOW! Poor Kate wondered why Momma was crying...

    ReplyDelete
  2. sobbing with you Hilary...........

    ReplyDelete