Saturday, August 21, 2010

A Word On Breaks

Everyone needs a break once in awhile. I'm not talking about anything as big as a vacation, though those are wonderful. Nor am I talking about anything as simple as stealing an hour before bed to read a good book, though that is something I strongly encourage. I'm talking about a break from the daily. A break from your list, your chores, your musts. A break from those voices in your head that say move, move, move.

I'm talking about sitting in your home and just being there. I'm talking about taking the time to enjoy your space and your life and, most importantly, the people who fill your space and your life.

I hate the word "stay-cation" and since that's not what I'm talking about please remove this awful vocabulary word from your head. I'm talking about a break. A break as in break off a day or two or three from your routine and do nothing. You'd be amazed at how much you can do when you set your mind to doing nothing.

You can work on that puzzle that's been sitting in the closet for a year just waiting to be put together.


You can sit on the porch rail and watch the rain.


You can hang out with friends, be they as awesome as a fairy and a monkey or as familiar and comforting as your husband.


The last three years I have made myself take a break around this time of year. I make myself ignore the laundry and the dusting and even this blog. I make myself do things I don't take time to do. I do it now before we jump into the second half of the year with all of it's holidays and back to school and such. Before I have too many excuses. I make myself stop so that I can enjoy my children without distraction for these last few days of summer. I make myself stop before the fireflies go away and I miss them.

I make myself stop. I breathe deep and let the frazzled fall away. And I find that by the end of the week I can look around and give a contented nod.

I find a new sense of gratitude for my space and my life and, most importantly, for the people who fill my space and my life.

And to think, I got all of that from doing nothing.

1 comment: