Monday, August 23, 2010

Jack Johnson In Concert


Dear Jack Johnson,

Thanks for visiting the Queen City last night. You can come back and sing to me anytime. I'll gladly spend my night wasting time and dancing to your laid back melodies.

Thanks for playing at the outdoor theater under the moonlight. It was the perfect mood enhancer to your guitar-bongo-piano beat. We had perfect seats. Up on the hill with a nice place to prop our feet up, have a drink, and relax. Thanks for breaking out the ukulele. I like a funky ukulele piece every now and then. It makes you want to prop your feet up, drink a little more, and relax.

Thanks for showing your softer side by talking about your wife and kids, and for playing Upside Down for the children in the audience. Personally I love Curious George, so I was just as excited about that song as I was about Red Wine, Mistakes, Mythology. Plus I was able to video it which made our kids really excited this morning when I showed it to them. I can tell it's going to be playing in the background of a lot of dancing around here.


Thanks for being a peace lover and breaking up the fight that broke out in front of the stage during Banana Pancakes. You're right, it's not a hater song. It's a happy song that should make you want to snuggle up with someone you love. But then again that's really the vibe that most of your songs have. Chill, surfer, beachy love with some be-nice-to-others ethics thrown in for good measure. Speaking of those ethics, thanks for not preaching it from the stage. I hate it when people do that. The slides during intermission were plenty and let me know that we're on the same charity page. Slow food, farm to school, clean ocean. I'm on board.

Thanks for Do You Remember and Angel. We needed one of those look-in-each-others-eyes-and-remember moments. It was lovely. And thanks for showing me that Rodeo Clowns is a really sexy song to dance to. Especially when it starts to drizzle rain and the audience is glistening with wet skin.

This little letter wouldn't be complete without also saying thanks to your friends. G-Love, Zack Gill, you guys are awesome. I knew you guys were good, but I didn't expect to fall in love. So thanks for some new songs on my ipod.

Last night was wonderful. I was downright giddy the whole night. And I'm not a giddy person, so that's saying a lot. Thanks for that. I needed a giddy night. I want to especially thank you for playing Inaudible Melodies and Bubble Toes. I love those songs. They're oldies and I wasn't sure if you'd play them, but I'm so very glad you did. Of course, I kept saying that I loved every song that started playing last night. I don't think you have a single song that I hate. That's pretty amazing.

Really, just thanks for an all around great night that left me crashed in bed dreaming about being carried off to the sea, which is my favorite kind of dream to have.


See you in between dreams,

Megan


PS: Thanks for my cool new regatta hoodie. People who really know me, know that I will wear the life out of it. Plus I get to see boats every time I put it on. My husband is the only person who truly knows why that's so funny. I'm glad he loves me despite my quirky sentimentality.

4 comments:

  1. Do you think you could talk JJ into coming to Conway? I could use a night like that:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a night y'all needed! G-Love was there?! We LOVE some G-Love at the Sharp household! So fun!! Love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. annie - yeah, me and jj are tight now so I'll hook you up :)

    emily - I had only heard G-Love on the Curious George soundtrack. I had no idea what he actually sang. I'm now in love. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a fantastic evening.......

    ReplyDelete