Monday, August 9, 2010

Self Cut Hair

On our last night in Arkansas, Steven and I decided to leave the kids with grandma and go out on a much needed date. Sicily decided that this would be a great time to give herself a haircut. When I saw her the next morning I almost started crying. She had cut straight across the top of her head all the way down to her roots. Apparently it was in her eyes and the scissors were closer than a headband.

So today we went to see if it could be salvaged. The stylist did the best she could. We decided a short bob would make it less obvious. In the after picture you can see the spiked self-cut part sticking up along the part of her hair and in front. She cut several other layers through the back. It's just a mess really. We would have had to shave her head to make it all even.

Before:
After:
All of her pretty long curls are gone. And she had to do it two weeks before she starts kindergarten, of course. Oh, well. It will grow. My sister and I decided it's some sort of childhood ritual. You have to give yourself a really bad haircut at least once in your life. Or you have someone who does it for you, like an older mischievous sister. Sorry Hilary.

Speaking of sisters, Analiese decided she'd like a haircut too. She left it to the professionals, though, and it looks beautiful. She's already been down the self-cut road and knows it doesn't make mama happy. Hopefully this is a one time thing for Sicily too. Although, she's a strong willed little sprite. I think I'll just hide all of the scissors for a while.




4 comments:

  1. Ohh...that brings back memories! ha All those locks gone!! Oh, Sicily! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, definitely a ritual for little girls. Plus, it gives us something to talk about and bond over for years down the road. :) Her hair really doesn't look bad. I think it helps that she has the curls in the front because the layers just look natural. I definitely think that the shorter hair makes her look older. Same goes for Analiese. They both look so grown up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I am the grandma that you left them with when you went on your date and I was horrified to read this post. She did not give herself a haircut before I tucked her into bed that night, and when I checked on her just a few minutes later, she was fast asleep. I had no idea until seeing this post that she had had a haircut. Bob and I both remembered saying goodbye to Sicily the next morning and neither of us noticed her curls gone then either. I suppose she must have gotten up at some point, came downstairs for scissors, and bingo....cut her hair. But please know that it was not cut before I had her tucked in and fast asleep. I had no idea. But we do think both the girls look cute with their new doos. We enjoyed your trip to Arkansas. Love to all

    ReplyDelete
  4. no worries Kathy. She's sneaky like that. :)

    ReplyDelete