Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Best Compliment

I shared with you last week that I was having a fault listing kind of week. I've been questioning what I'm doing. Wondering if I'm doing this mom thing right. We've just sort of been off, I guess. The kids have been arguing a lot. We spent most of the weekend sending them to time out. We've had major respect and disobedience issues. We've just been a little bit muddled up.

But, wow, what a difference a week can make! I believe it has something to do with the sunshine, but whatever has thawed our spirits, I'll take it. My mama's heart has been warmed this week. How is it that children can say a few simple words that can flip you upside down?


Last night I was hanging out with the boy. The house was quiet except for the rain coming down outside of the open windows. The girls were sound asleep. It was just the two of us with a sea of Legos in front of us. We sat, chatting and building quietly, for about an hour. When it was time for bed, he said, "You're good at Legos. Will you do this again with me sometime?". I would have bought him the world in that moment. I believe it's one of the best compliments I've ever received. Not that I set out to be a great Lego builder, but that, in that moment when his eyes lit up, I was good to my son. For that moment I did something that he loved. And that is enough. Steven reminded me during one of those bad days last week that the boy still hugs me before bed. I can't be a total failure if I'm still getting hugs from my nine year old and he thinks I'm good at Legos.

I think when young children compliment us it means so much more because there's nothing behind it. Children say what they think. They are honest. Their words can be harsh or so very sweet, but either way they mean it.

Like this letter I got from Analiese yesterday:



She was sitting on the hammock drawing and ran inside abruptly with a huge smile and gave me this paper. Then she ran off to keep drawing. It came from her heart and no where else.

They keep growing and one day those simple words will cease. They might realize that flattery gets you things or not want to hang out with their mom. But for now I'll store up what I can. For now I'll cherish their simple little compliments for what they are. So even when the baby calls me soft like a pillow when she's laying on my stomach, I'll know that she thinks its a good feature for her mama to have and say thank you.

1 comment: