Thursday, June 10, 2010

And What Did Sicily Do This School Year...

It's summer break for Sicily as well. She has worked very hard this year. Unlike the other two who want summer to last forever, she is counting down the days until school starts. She will start kindergarten in the fall and she's very excited about it.

Back in August I made a big decision regarding the rest of her school year. I decided to homeschool her last year of preschool. Homeschooling is not something I ever thought I would be doing. I don't have a problem with homeschooling. I know several families who do it very well. But in general, we don't feel that it is the best choice for our family. As you know I love my children's elementary school. I feel that they are getting a better education there than they would get from me. So we ruled out homeschooling back when it came time for Chris to start school.

When she turned three, Sicily started preschool at a wonderful little school, but unfortunately we realized that sending her a second year was out of the question. We simply could not afford it. So I started homeschooling.

She is very social and missed her friends, and I was very nervous about being able to teach her all that she needed to learn before kindergarten. So the year started out a little rocky. But then we got into a comfortable routine. She's a great student which made my job easier. And we went on field trips and to story time which gave her a social outlet. All in all this year has been a huge blessing. It gave me a year to truly bond with my baby. Being the third child, we've never really had time alone. I will always cherish this time with her. My sweet and spunky Sicily.

Since Thursday was the last day of school for the older two children I knew that our alone time was coming to an end. I realized that I'm really going to miss our time together. So the two of us went out for a special lunch to soak up those last hours. We love McAlister's sweet tea so that's where we went. While sipping our tea she talked and I listened which is pretty much how most of our days go. I love listening to her five year old observations and thoughts. Then unprompted she stopped what she was saying and said, "I'm going to not like when the kids are home because I like it when it's just you and me together by ourselves." I almost started crying. Me too baby girl, me too.



I shared what Chris and Analiese did during blue and gold week. Here is what Sicily did. This is the free entertainment I have enjoyed all year. I fear next school year is going to be a little boring after getting this for a year.


1 comment:

  1. Oh I love this!! The video made my day. Jon and I both laughed as we watched it. I love that girl!

    ReplyDelete