Sunday, June 20, 2010

The Man My Children Call Dad

My children have an imperfect father who loves them with a deep grace. His father skin feels tight. He feels unnatural. But I see that his love flows from him right into their hearts.

He teaches them to love others and to love who they are. He tells them that they are beautiful. He tells them that they are wonderful. He gives them hugs so tight that their hearts almost touch his. It flows from him as naturally as a river flows into the ocean. Their laughing, brown eyes makes tears come freely. Grown-up moments prick his heart. He worries about boys at the front door and broken hearts, crushed spirits and defeated dreams. He worries that he can't give them enough, be enough. He worries because he wants them to see the spirit beauty that he sees in them. He wants them to know that beauty deep in the untouchable heart of themselves.

I am thankful that my children have someone who cares about the beauty of their soul. Someone who says "I love you". Someone who gives them hugs. I am thankful that they have an imperfect father who loves them with grace.


I am thankful because I know that these things are important. I am thankful because when my children are off fighting this world on their own they will have the love of their father to help them through.

I know the weight of that because I also had an imperfect father who loved me with grace. And I carry his love with me always.



3 comments: