Thursday, June 24, 2010

Lemon-Chocolate Chip Napoleans

I love lemon. I love chocolate. So why not put them together? I don't have a good answer so I did just that. I wanted to make something besides cake for Analiese's birthday. So I made these little quasi-napoleons. They were a huge hit. Instead of the traditional puff pastry, I used chocolate chip cookies to sandwich a lemon cream cheese frosting. It's simple and lovely and, oh, so delicious. Stick some candles on top and you've got yourself some birthday napoleons. Or 4th of July Napoleons. Or "just because I'm awesome" napoleons. Whatever makes you happy and gives you an excuse for some lemony-chocolate goodness. Enjoy!


Lemon-Chocolate Chip Napoleons

for the frosting:

3/4 cup powdered sugar
3 ounces cream cheese
2 Tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 tsp lemon zest
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup (or more) whipped cream

Blend sugar, cream cheese, lemon juice, lemon zest, and vanilla in a mixer. Once smooth fold in enough whipped cream to form a thick but spreadable frosting. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.

Spread frosting between 3 layers of your favorite chocolate chip cookies. Top with more frosting and a few milk chocolate chips. Ye
s, it's that easy.

1 comment: