Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Swimming in the Rain


A lot of the neighborhoods around here have a community pool. We don't live in one of those neighborhoods. We live in the often forgotten neighborhood of this little town outside of the Queen City. It's full of little houses rented by broken people. Our neighbors bond over lack of air conditioning and job loss. We actually love it. It's older and grungier than the other neighborhoods which allows us an escape from our sterile, yuppie city.

Someone, who was unaware of exactly where we live, recently asked me if our tan arms were a sign that we were enjoying our neighborhood pool during this heat wave.

I said, " We only have a neighborhood pool when it rains and the backyard floods."

She thought I was joking. Sometimes you have to appreciate what you've got. Luckily for my kids, I'm the kind of mom who let's them swim in the rain.

2 comments:

  1. What great perspective.
    They'll remember this forever.
    I might too:)

    ReplyDelete