Saturday, June 5, 2010

Apparently It's My Birthday


I'm told I've turned 29 today. Surely that's not right. Not that I think that sounds too old. I think it sounds too young. In fact, I told people for two years that I was 28. Really! Last year, when I turned 28, Steven had to convince me that I was actually turning 28. I had been saying I was for the whole previous year. I just missed 27 all together. My oldest child turns 10 this year. So surely I'm older than 29. I kind of skipped the whole stage that comes with the 20s, so I often feel like I'm living in my 30s. But the birth certificate tells me I'm wrong.

Apparently I really am 29 today. However old I am, I am positive that it's my birthday if for no other reason than the fact that my email inbox had 30 or so Facebook messages telling me it was. You've got to love Facebook. Everyone who would have otherwise had no idea that it was your birthday now knows and you get ten times more birthday greetings than you would have. It's a lovely self esteem boost. They love me, they really love me. Or at least you can pretend like they do. It's really a nice little bow on the day.

I haven't asked for anything for my birthday from anyone but God. I'm just asking for an easier year than last year. I'm not going to lie, 28 kind of sucked. So I'm not asking for the perfect year or even a year without some life drama. I'm just asking for easier. Rolling into 30 next year feeling pretty good and stable in life would be the greatest gift I could receive. So far we're off to a rough start, but there are still 364 days for that to change. I'm holding out hope.

If not, I at least have August to look forward to. Even though I didn't ask for anything else, my husband couldn't let the day go by without something to make me smile. And Jack Johnson concert tickets definitely make me smile. An outside concert listening to one of my favorites with my best friend. Yes, I'm smiling very big indeed. Thank you love.

So happy birthday to me. I'm treating myself to the gift of not making dinner. Cereal anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment