Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Family Ache

I have an ache for family. Not just blood family, friend family too. That happens sometimes when it's been far too long since I've seen them, hugged them. It creeps up on me and becomes so strong that I get just about crazy enough to pack us all up and make the 14 hour drive home. In fact, when the kids were younger that's exactly what I did. Now we have school and other activities to consider. Spontaneity throws a wrench in our gears. So I just let the crazy thought pass and bide my time until the next appropriate travel time. This ache hits me randomly. Often it catches me off guard.
This time I know what spurred it. One of my favorite bloggers, Amber from The Run-a-Muck, challenged her readers to have a sister party. A party to reconnect with all of the wonderful women in your life. You know, the ones that support you, love you, and aren't afraid to tell you that you look bad in that dress. Sometimes as moms we let those relationships go by the wayside a bit. So having a party to pour into one another is a great idea. Except for the fact that when I think about who I would invite to such a party my mind bounces from coast to coast and everywhere in between. I can count on one hand the number of those ladies that are in this little town with me (one, maybe two). It makes me a little sad and it makes me ache. There are times when I wonder if we should have moved back home. Closer to, well, anyone we knew. (It's not just me. As I write this Steven is moping behind me because he wants to be a Bikes, Blues, and BBQ with Sean right now.)
It's hard for me to make close friendships. I'm not that giddy personality that can find a new best friend in a matter of minutes. And I don't want a lot of acquaintances. I don't feel the need to surround myself with people. I like having a few close relationships but I do feel the need to surround myself with those people. I need community, a deep, understanding community. While I love my blogs, and I'm not opposed to phone calls, sometimes you need the physical in person hug of a sister. So, how do you stay close to the people in your life that live far away? How do you still the ache of missing them? Well, how do you?

2 comments:

  1. I feel exactly the same ache at times. This piece was beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean for sure. I feel exactly the same way and it has been hitting me more and more lately as it's been so long since I've seen those close family and friends.

    ReplyDelete