Friday, September 25, 2009

Friday Favorites

Who doesn't love the sight of a shabby, hole filled blanket? Or a slightly over loved stuffed animal? I do. A well worn lovey is a beautiful thing. I love that a soft blanket or a teddy can instantly soothe hurts and calm fears. Sometimes, I want to be an old worn bear. Just think of all of the love poured into that bear. I'd take a little shabbiness for a little of that love.
We have some very worn loveys around here. I love that when I pick them up they smell like my children. (Most of the time. Sometimes they just smell like they need a bath.) Here are some of our favorite overly loved blankets and toys.

This is the blue dog and a very soft army blanket. On most Saturday mornings you can find Chris wrapped up in this blanket watching cartoons. Chris is very sentimental. I think the main reason that this blanket has become a favorite is because it's from Grandma White (his great grandmother). He doesn't get to see her much and it reminds him of her. The blue dog has a back story as well. I have a baby picture of Chris with the blue dog. I believe it used to smell like vanilla. Nine years later it does not. I've tried to put it away a few times now, but I gave up. It seems this blue dog has a permanent place on his bed. I love being reminded that in all of his "coolness" he's not so big that he won't tuck a little blue dog under his pillow at night. Shhh! Don't tell his friends.


This is Jack. Jack's been around for awhile. He rotates on and off of Analiese's bed. It's actually hard to choose just one stuffed animal that's her favorite. She's very attached to them all. Jack made the blog today because he happened to be holding the blanket. This soft pink blanket is the real lovey. It's been around since she was a baby. She's gets in a mild panic when we can't find it at bedtime. This blanket has been mended many times and it still has its fair share of holes. It has been left in the tree house and rained on. It has gone on many trips. It has been to the hospital too many times in six years. And it comforts my tender hearted little girl. I'd say it's a very good lovey indeed.



But there is no lovey in the world as worn and cherished as Sicily's bunny. Oh, the bunny. I think that in a fire this is what I would run in and save (after the kids, of course). Though I don't think I would have to. This bunny has an invisible sting attaching it to Sicily's hand. It used to be pink. Now it's a nice shade of off white dirty. When I check on her at night it's usually over her head. Sometimes when she sneaks into bed with us I wake up with it over my head. I've decided to stop thinking about what kind of germs this thing is carrying. For the first three years the bunny didn't leave her sight. This past year I've found that during the day the bunny has spent increasingly more time on her bed. My little girl is growing up. She's even tried to go to sleep with other stuffed animals, but she always makes her way down the hall within a few minutes asking me to find her bunny. Shabby little bunny. It makes me happy.

2 comments: