Tuesday, September 15, 2009

simplicity

I can become very domestic when challenged. I rise to the occasion quite well. Because the truth is I work best with very little. I truly crave a very simple life. I'm the one that actually wants my house to smell like fresh baked bread, our clothes to be line dried, and to spend the day loving on a house full of children. I often think that when the dust of this year has cleared we will be better off. We tried the partner track/suburb thing for a while. It's just not who we are. I know that it seems convenient to say that in light of how things have worked out but I think I can safely say that our HOA president would agree that we don't quite fit the suburb mold. (We never quite got the hang of a perfectly manicured yard.) What mold do we fit then? Well, that's a post for another day. Enough of that.
For now, back to my overly domestic ways. It works out very well for my family. Our house is spotless, I've made multiple loaves of fresh bread, a roast, eggplant lasagna, soups, and there is enough food in our freezer to survive a few winters. My sewing machine has been earning its keep as well. I went back to those sheets and made two Twirly Skirts for my little princesses. I made them longer than the pattern so that they would make good fall/winter skirts. They'll go well with some nice wool tights I think. I had to be careful not to make them so long that they didn't twirl, thus losing their purpose. They have been little girl approved as super twirly.



I also decided to make some new tutus for them as well. (Our's were looking a little rough and ragged.) I pulled it off for about $3 a piece and though at times I felt like I was drowning in a sea of tuelle, they were one of the easiest projects I've ever done.



In case you think I've been a sewing sexist, stay tuned; I'm currently working on a messenger bag for Chris. Now I'm off. I have soup to make.

4 comments:

  1. You are so talented! I would love to make some tutus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job, Megan. They are so cute! Can't wait to see the messenger bag.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's a messenger bag? Loved this writing piece. :) Good job on your seamstressing....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm impressed!! The skirts and tutu's both look fantastic. I can't wait to see the messenger bag.

    ReplyDelete